Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sarnath

Right before I left for Varanasi, I wrote to the hotel and asked about the height of the river, if the Ghats were flooded, etc. I was told that they weren't, but when I arrived they were. So, I decided to go to Sarnath instead.

This is the place that the Buddha gave his first sermon on Dharma. At Sarnath there is an ancient Stupa from the 5th and 6th Century. Buddhism is still practiced in Sarnath today. I am posting some pictures for you all and I will have another post soon on the history of this place. 

About the temple grounds. 
The temple grounds at Sarnath.
The newly built Jain Temple. 
Carvings from the 5th century.
A monk meditating. 
Inside the ancient temple grounds.
The main stupa.
Prayer flags. 
Carvings on the stupa. Sarnath was a wonderfully peaceful place after the chaos of Varanasi. The lovely cool breeze,  the soft echo of the chanting monks makes one feel as if it is a place where time stopped ticking long ago. 










No comments:

Post a Comment