Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A note to my friends on traveling to India

The note I wrote to my son on traveling was the most correct statement I was able to make about India before I left.  It is frustrating, rich, charming, filthy, ancient and modern, degrading, enlightening, overwhelming, extraordinary and  unbelievably beautiful all in the same moment. It is a place where time is everything and yet has no real definition or meaning.

As soon as I finish downloading all my pictures I will have some lovely posts for you all on the places I visited, but in the mean time I have a few notes for you too:

You must pack light. In fact, don't even bother with more than two pair of shoes - flip-flops and tennis shoes. You will need nothing else and you will rarely need those. Unless you are going to a cold region, one pair of jeans will do. What you really need to do is learn to tie a saree properly or get comfortable with a Kurta. It's bloody hot and Indian's wear what they have worn for thousands of years for a reason...it's hot. If you are a woman, bring lots of underwear and the most comfortable bra you have. Do not skimp on this.

Have friends or a reliable tour guide. The best and easiest place to make new friends is on the plane. Do not underestimate the power of knowing or getting to know someone.

Learn to speak Hindi at a minimum.

You cannot rely on internet or even continuous electricity, not even in major cities, but you can rely on a cell phone. Do not go without having procured one.

When arriving in a new city, make reservations for one night and one night only at a nice (i.e. four star and above) hotel. Travel plans will either change or you will find the good cheap place to stay. Do not plan too much.

You will be frustrated. Embrace it, deal with it, learn to love it. It will happen. When you are on the other side of it, you will appreciate things so much more. Things like a simple telephone call.

Be prepared to be unprepared. Expect the unexpected.

One last thing - know yourself. Know when you need a grilled cheese sandwich and AC to get you through to the next day and the next place. Know when you can throw out your values and "needs" and go with the flow and when you cannot not, and then try to do it anyway.

Have faith that you will know yourself so much better when you come back. 

1 comment:

  1. "Do not underestimate the power of knowing or getting to know someone." That is golden! (And my favorite line, in case that isn't obvious.)

    Because of these recent posts, I feel renewed longing and affection for what travel brings us if we are open to it. Thank you for that, for giving such useful guidance, and for letting me feel that I'm sharing in your journey. There's something very grounded here.

    ReplyDelete