Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chennai



I love people and places that surprise you in delightful and unexpected ways. As I mentioned, I probably would not have chosen to go to Chennai, but it turns out that I will be spending a good portion of my time there. 



















 The thing that attracted me the most in the beginning was the Kapaleeshwar temple in Mylapore. It is not far from my friends house. Built in the seventh century B.C. by the Pallava kings and dedicated to Lord Siva and the goddess Parvati, this is the oldest temple in Chennai. 


I'm sure there will be plenty to do with for her wedding, but I thought I needed to find a few things to do if I just need to get out of the way for a while. What I found is something kind of unique, it is a tour called Story Trails. Run by a bunch of over-educated historians, art students and MBA's this is one of the few tourist activities I have found that I want to spend money on. Here is what they have to say about themselves:

India exists in her stories. 

And each neighbourhood boasts a history rich in mystique. To truly experience India, try sampling the local life, with its mélange of customs, traditions and stories.

You’ll realize that the sights you see are but a small part of her charm. 

Storytrails was born with the idea of seeing India through her stories. Taking our guests to savor the local sights and sounds but through the eyes of a storyteller. Going beyond the sights themselves, and uncovering the characters through time that made these places come alive.

Some fact, some fiction, some myths and some superstition.
We do not want you to merely visit. Come, be a part of the story!



http://www.storytrails.in/index.html

Another place I hope to go, given the time, is the Cholamandal Artist's Village:

Cholamandal Artist's Village in Chennai lies amidst a pretty casuarina grove just 9 km. away from the city of Chennai. Started in 1965, Cholamandal is an Artists' village spread on 8 acres of land 8 km. south of Adyar on Muttukadu Road on the Sea. Surrounded by an old and sparsely populated village Injambakkam, Cholamandal is today the hub of thirty painters and sculptors who have established the village and run the Artists Handicrafts Association.


We will also be doing some Saree shopping in Chennai for Sharanya's wedding as well as making a little party trip to Pondicherry. It seems to me that the truly delightful part of Chennai is going to be in friends and family there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment